Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"Make something happen"

In case you have not noticed, I am getting just a little bit excited about this Bible reading challenge. The roster at the bottom of this site is growing slowly but steadily. There is a group of us who have decided to commit to this challenge, some started reading today.

I was telling a friend of mine today that one of my favorite things to read is trip journals from people who ride their bicycles across America. (crazyguyonabike.com for example) For me this challenge is a little bit like riding a bicycle across the country, it sounds like a huge undertaking and commitment. It seems a bit crazy, but the rewards will be big.

Imagine yourself packing for a long journey not sure exactly what waits at the other end because your last long ride was long ago. Maybe you have always wanted to get through the Bible. Maybe you feel like you always forget where stuff is or can't quite remember what a certain passage said.

One of the ride journals I read a couple weeks ago was about a couple in their 60s who decided to buy a couple of recumbent tricycles and see the US. I think about my own short bike rides in front of my driveway. Riding in the same circles over and over is such a small thing in contrast to riding across the country.

Sometimes I think I read the Bible in a way that is a lot like riding circles in my driveway. It is time for more. It is time for spending time in Gods word in a way that may not be convenient. It will probably impact the amount of time I spend watching TV, but the journey is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment